Freetronics DMD – Games

I had a little while free and so ported a bunch of games I wrote for the Peggy2 to work with a pair of DMD’s
In doing so the games now run at 32×32 and are controlled by a Wii nunchuck.
The games are snake, pong, breakout and race.
The Arduino code is available at DMD_games.zip
The two screens are daisy-chained but as the cable connecting them is quite short the top one is upside-down.
To get this working the modified DMD library is setup to handle rows of displays where odd-numbered rows are upside down.
See this diagram for how it is laid out (for 2×2 case)

Playing is fairly straight-forward.  Only thing to remember is that the ‘z-button’ on the nunchuck is used to select and the ‘c-button’ is used to exit back to the menu

Have a look at the video below to see them in action.

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: ,

11 Responses to “Freetronics DMD – Games”

• Jason says:

Hey,
    Thanks for sharing! Did you have to power each one from a separate power source? or are they all powered from the Arduino?

• cjd says:

There is a seperate powersupply for the displays – I’m using an old 5V power supply from an MP3 player I used to own.

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

• […] For complete details including the Arduino sketches, visit Chris’ website here.  […]

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The comment’s server IP (76.74.254.38) doesn’t match the comment’s URL host IP (72.233.2.58) and so is spam.

• Andrew says:

Hi, I think the most current library supports multiple DMD displays quite differently: you have to wire them up like http://forum.freetronics.com/download/file.php?id=106&mode=view not as shown in the pic on this page.

• Jason says:

yes – what Andrew says is correct. The current library is fine for multiple DMD’s wired the way that the link provided by Andrew describes. I’ve got this working with 4 DMD’s quite happily with the standard library.

• shamir says:

Hi there,
    Landed up to this site only when i am stuck at a problem.
    I have a p10 led module and want to interface it with a microcontroller. I spent 2 days in understanding the complete hardware and ICs.
    P10 is made up of 16 rows and 32 columns. Now upto 74hc595 and column selection is well understood by me. But I am in a state of confusion when it comes to row selection. I see that the output of 74ls138 is given to 4953. The same outputs are given to another 4953 responsible for selecting another row. If this decoder output is activated then 2 rows get selected. And if I wish to turn on only 1 led, I can see 2 leds turning on at the same time.. I don’t know if I could explain you my problem correctly. My 1st objective is to turn on only 1 led just for the sake of testing.
    THANX IN ANTICIPATION BUDDY!

• Eddienuel says:

Hi shamir, i just saw this post i dont know if you have gotten your answer. from what you said, it is expected for p10 to behave like that i mean seein two LEDs at once. that’s because p10 is designed to address 4 rows at a time out of 16. which is done using two address bits A and B for selection. so first you have to ensure the correct data has filled the next 4 rows you are about to address. by clocking in your correct data usin the shift clock and storage clock and the data Line combination. for more information and a clear explanation pls just ask from this post. this is just to know if your are still interested know i believe i should get a notification of your response from my mail.

• Eddienuel says:

AB=00 addresses row 1,5,9,13
    AB=01 addresses row 2,6,10,14
    AB=10 addresses row 3,7,11,15
    AB=11 addresses row 4,8,12,16 please note that 0 turns the LED on 1 turns the LED off

• […] Further: Adding more displays: You can add more DMD displays the make the clock bigger. Read this for more information. Adding more alarms: To add more alarm add the following lines of code to the […]

• Kim says:

I’m trying to daisy chain my two DMDs with my arduino.

Can someone please take a photo of how they have done it?

Still confused about the power supply and how it is connected.

• Kim says:

I’m trying to daisy chain my two DMDs with my arduino.

Can someone please take a photo of how they have done it?

Still confused about the power supply and how it is connected.

Currently have one DMD working.